Birth Doula Services
Provided by Elizabeth Oldham CD(DONA), HCHD, HBCE
To schedule your free skype, phone or in person consultation please contact Elizabeth
As an experienced and seasoned labor and birth doula I provide support to families who wish to enhance their birthing experience in many different aspects.
I am certain that the key to a positive birthing experience is having the tools to make informed and educated decisions. In addition to their prenatal care and the love and support provided by their partners, women need consistent encouragement, reassurance and comfort.
I treat each and every family with respect regardless of their birthing location and choices.
My job as your doula is to support your decisions during your birth with guidance instead of judgment. As your doula I will provide emotional, physical (non-medical) and informational support to you and your partners during labor and birth, as well as the immediate postpartum period. As your doula I will offer an empathetic touch, positioning, emotional support, education and comfort measures that will help you and your family feel nurtured and cared for during this amazing journey. I regularly attend births as a birth doula at George Washington University Hospital (with the midwives and obstetricians), Inova Alexandria, Virginia Hospital Center, Washington Hospital Center, Inova Fairfax, Fort Belvoir Sibley, Prince William, birth centers and home birth settings.
- Teen pregnancy and birth
- Over 35
- Families conceiving with ART and IVF
- High risk pregnancies
- Cesarean birth
- Single parents
- Vaginal Birth After Cesarian (VBAC)
- Home birth
- LGBTQ families
- Anxiety disorders during pregnancy
- Survivors of sexual abuse
- Plus size mothers
- Factor 5 Leiden
Birth Doula Package:
- 1st meeting is a free consultation either by phone or in person to discuss services and contract
- 2nd meeting (after contracted) is to discuss comfort measures, birth positions, birth plan consultation, resources, feeding options, nutrition, plans after birth etc.
Full access to our lending library and local resource guide Phone, text and email support:
- Once contracted you will have access to Elizabeth via phone, text or email to ask questions, formulate a birth plan, search for references or voice any concerns
24 Hour On Call
- On call once contract is signed
- Available via email, text, phone for questions/resources
- Call anytime during this period if you believe you are in labor
- Will arrive either at your home or your place of birth once labor has started and you feel my support is needed
Labor and Delivery Support
- Provide continuous support to you and your birthing partner during labor and delivery
- Encourage nutrition and fluids for mother and all present for birth
- Help with relaxation and breathing techniques
- Suggest and help facilitate positions for comfort and relaxation
- Provide constant reassurance to both mother and birth partner
- Encourage families to advocate for their wishes when needed
- Provide information and explanation of birth options
- Help mother and birthing partner feel comfortable in whatever environment they choose to birth
- Take photos or video, if desired with my digital camera (CD will be provided during post-partum visit at no cost) or your camera
- Help with initial breastfeeding
- Remain with mother and birthing partner for an hour after birth, if desired
Post-Partum Follow up
- Periodic check ins via phone and email during the first 4 days after delivery
- Delivery of photos via DVD if taken with my camera (if not already emailed)
- Talk with mother about any concerns or questions
- Discuss feeding progress
- Discuss nutrition and sleep for mom
- Available anytime post-partum for support, resources and referrals
*If an in person post-partum follow up is desired, it can be arranged Payment
- Please contact Elizabeth for detailed information about payment
- Payments can be made via cash, check, money order or credit card via paypal or square (convenience fees may apply)
- Payment Plans can be arranged
Insurance Reimbursement After the birth of your baby I will provide you with an invoice for my services, a letter for your insurance company, a copy of my doula certification and anything else you may need to help you during the reimbursement. I am more than happy to answer any questions and help you however I can during this process.
Back up Doulas In the event, unlikely as it may be, that I am unable to attend your birth, I have a network of incredible Doulas to choose from so that labor support is still provided.