~Update March 23rd 2013… We have been using our home made inserts for about a month and a half. We love them so much more than the store bought! More absorbent and so much easier to clean! Yay!~
First… If anyone received random pictures of cloth diaper inserts as post updates… I am so sorry 🙂 There was a wee glitch in the blog posting this morning as it decided to post photos as I uploaded them!!! All is fixed and in the process I learned something new, which is the best thing that could happen with any problem! Big apologies for clogging up your email with sewing photos… boring I know!!!! If it ever happens again, I’ll make sure the pictures are at least a bit exciting!!!!
Ok… now on to the REAL post!!!!!
We are very happily cloth diapering our soon to be baby girl! We used cloth diapers with both of the boys, but only had one size (small) and did not invest in other larger sizes. I recently purchased some one size cloth diapers and couldn’t be more excited to be using them all through little Izzy’s first few years! The money we will be saving will be phenomenal, not to mention that the diapers are chemical free and much better for her little tush!
The only downfall is that the diapers we purchased didn’t come with any inserts. For those new to cloth diapering, the insert is a little pad that goes into the diaper and is super absorbent. The idea is that the insert is what you would normally change leaving the diaper clean for continued wear. You would launder the diaper when itself was soiled or at the end of use.
I recently went on a search for some inserts only to have that little voice in the back of my head tell me “you can make these for very cheap”. So I decided to give it a try.
First I gathered up every flannel receiving blanket that I had stuck in the “just in case” drawer in Izzy’s room. Next I literally laid a cloth insert I already had over the blankets and cut insert shapes out of the blankets (edges don’t have to be perfect). I kept doing this until all of the blankets were used. (I plan on using the scraps to make some nursing pads!).
The next step was to layer the insert shapes. I did 6 layers, but you could use less or more depending on the thickness of your blankets.
You could use a serger on the edges… I don’t own one (don’t really even know what a serger is!!) so after a bit of trial and error, this is what I found worked the best:
Using a zig-zag stitch with the settings shown in the picture. I started with a stitch that ran right down the middle, starting about 1.5 inches from the top and stopped 1.5 inches from the bottom. This will keep the material from bunching as you sew the edges and also during wear. Next I stitched about half an inch from the side all around. To finish it off, all you have to do is cut very close to the stitch to clean up the edges!
Yay! Free cloth diaper inserts! I ended up with a dozen of these and couldn’t be happier!!!!
I think Izzy will like them too!!!
Thanks for your time!